Enrollment in the Mass HIway is available to Massachusetts-licensed providers, health plans, and business associates. The services are open for health information exchange as permitted by law. If this applies to your organization, our Account Management team is available to assist you with the HIway enrollment, onboarding, and connection process. To get the process started:
- Contact the HIway to get connected with a HIway Account Manager as explained below
- Work with the Account Manager to get enrolled, identity proofed, and onboarded
- Develop and deploy HIE Use Cases to exchange health information with your trading partners
The Enrollment Process
|Policies and Procedures (version 4)||
Review this document which outlines the conditions and terms that apply to all Mass HIway Participants to ensure it is used in a safe, ethical, and lawful manner.
|Participation and Business Associate Agreement||
This agreement governs the access and use of the services of the Mass HIway network. It defines the roles and responsibilities of each party.
This document needs to be signed and returned during Enrollment.
|Mass HIway Legal Entity and Sub Organization File Sheet V1||
This Excel file includes demographic information about the organization as well as key contact detail.
This document is Exhibit A and needs to be completed and returned during Enrollment:
|W-9 Form||Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification|
The Identity Proofing Process
After enrollment, your organization must assign an Health Care Organization (HCO) Representative, who must be either your future Mass HIway Access Administrator or an Officer of the Organization, in accordance with your organization's policies and procedures.
The HCO Representative will be required to undergo an identity proofing process to serve as your HCO Administrator. Your HIway Account Manager can assist you with this process.
Follow the instructions for the Identity Proofing process as described in the "Identity Proofing" page.
The Onboarding Process
The Mass HIway has contracted with two vendors to operate, maintain, and support the HIway. To become a new HIway participant, you will be supported by both vendors:
- Orion Health will provide Platform Implementation and Technical Support Services
- MeHI will support you with Account Management, Consulting Services, Outreach, and Education
The times in this table are estimates. Actual times vary by connection type, EHR vendor, and Participant.
Developing Use Cases
Going live requires more than just a technical connection and a Direct Address. You have to develop HIE Use Cases to define the who, what, when, where and how you will use the Mass HIway to exchange health information with other providers. This includes adapting your clinical workflows to incorporate HIE.
Your Account Manager can assist you with the use case development tasks, such as:
- Assess HIE opportunities and barriers for your organization and providers
- Identify viable exchange trading partners and relevant Use Cases
- Engage, facilitate and manage electronic exchange across trading partners
- Operationalize mutually agreed upon testing protocols, workflows, and processes
- Get the right information securely to the right provider, at the right time
- Streamline/Optimize internal and external workflows
- HIE Educational services to all levels of the organization
- Share lessons learned among the various HIE participants
HIway Account Management
The Mass HIway supports providers in connecting and using the Mass HIway. This support is provided by our HIway Account Management team. To learn more, click here.